Pages

Monday 30 March 2020

Magical Math!


Hi Bloggers!
 Last week in math, my teacher taught us a new way to figure out addition and subtraction problems. It's called algorithm. If you don't know what it is then I will tell you. You write the bigger number at the top and the smaller number at the bottom. Then you put a plus or minus beside it. Next you put a line under the bottom number that's an equal sign.

You always add or subtract the ones first if it's above 10 then you carry if you have to. If you are unable to subtract the number because the top number is smaller, then you have to borrow from the number next to it. That means that if the number next to it was 8, it would become 7. And if the 1's column number was 3, it would become 13.

What about addition you say? Well, say you have 5 and 8 in the 1's column. You know that they are going to equal over 10 so you just add 5 and 8 which is 13. Then you write 3 under the line in the 1's column and the 1 above the number next to it but it has to be smaller.


Do you like my blog post?

How do you solve problems?

I would like some feedback on how I could improve my blog, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sahil,

    Thanks for sharing your learning in maths. This is my favourite method for addition and subtraction. What would you say is the challenge with this method?

    Mrs Taylor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sahil

    Great to see you putting so much effort into your maths. Like Mrs Taylor, this is also my favourite method for addition and subtraction.

    Here's a little tip: To check that your answers are correct you can add the ones together and make sure that your answer ends with the correct numeral. For instance: I know that if I add 7 + 8 it will equal 15. So I know my larger answer must still end with a '5'.

    I look forward to your next blog post.

    Kind regards
    Mr R

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post